18th Annual Novo Nordisk New Jersey Marathon, April 25-27
Full Marathon, Half Marathon & Relay, Health & Fitness Expo, 5K, Family Events & Kids Races
Race Director Update #9 – 2 weeks until Race Weekend
Thank you for registering for The 18th Annual Novo Nordisk New Jersey Marathon Weekend. In an effort to make your participation more enjoyable, here is the ninth in the series of weekly messages. Copies of these updates are also available on our Website.
Smooth Sailing on April 27th – See Race Director Update #1 for more details:
- Pre-Race: Carpool and be in the parking lots between 75-120 minutes early, or take the Special Race Day Train to the Start. Click here for a train ticket ($10).
- Corral loading: Half/Relay 6:10-6:40 am, Full 7:35-7:55 am. The last corral will remain open until the start, for late arrivals. The start lines will close after the last corral has left. Don’t be late!
- Post-Race Busing to Monmouth Park: Road closures require return busing to begin around 9:30 am. During your wait enjoy the: Finish Line Festival Bands, raffles, vendor food, shop for official race gear, have you finishers medal engraved, sign up for a massage, etc.
- Pre-paid parking at Monmouth Park: We strongly suggestthe pre-paid option. Click here for a pass or purchase one at the Expo for ($5). Parking passes will be $10 on Race Day!
- Race Day Gear Check: Take advantage of this free service for dry, warm, clothing after your race!
- Race Packet Pick-up: Free at the Expo. Paid service on race day morning. Click here to register ($25).
- Pre-paid parking near the Finish Area: Guaranteed Parking for spectators at 7-President’s Oceanfront Park in Long Branch. Click here for a pass ($15).
- Post-Race – Getting to your vehicle: Take a regularly scheduled NJ Transit train, walk to a parking lot near the Finish Area, or take one of our free buses back to Monmouth Park.
- Race Day Security Information for Athletes, Spectators, Press, Volunteers and Race Staff:Click here for special race day security requirements.
Smooth Sailing on April 26th
a) Parking for the ShapingNJ 5K and Barnabas Health Family Festival and Kids Races: Lots will be available in Pier Village for $5, as well as on street parking around the area.
b) The Start/Finish Location: The 5K, Kids’ Races, Kid’s 1.2 Mile Marathon, Kids Move The New Jersey Marathon Run and the Family Festival will be held at the Oceanfront Promenade in Long Branch: between the Ocean Place Resort and Rooney’s Restaurant. Additional information is available on our website.
c) Getting to the Start: There are no anticipated road closures on April 26th. Good access should exist from the west via Rt. 36, from the north via Rt. 36 and from the south via Ocean Ave. / Blvd., and all local roads.
d) Security Restrictions: Report any suspicious behavior and unattended bags to Race Staff/Police.
Smooth Sailing on April 25 & 26th at the Expo
i. Getting to the Expo: The address is 175 Oceanport Ave., Oceanport, NJ 07757. Rt. 36 west from GSP Exit 105 and Rt. 18 Exit 13B provide the main access to Oceanport Ave. Many other options are available using local roads.
ii. Expo Parking: All Expo parking will be inside in the Grandstand Area of the park, off Oceanport Ave. VIP Parking: via the first right onto Park Rd. from the traffic circle followed by a quick right into the lot. All other parking: part way around the traffic circle to the left. All Expo parking is free.
iii. Race Packet Pick-up: Be sure to bring your bib # with you to the Expo to speed up the process. Look it up beforehand using the link on our website at any time or click here to access it now. Terminals will also be available at the Expo.
1. We’re Selling Out!
If you have friends and family who haven’t registered for our Sunday races yet, please let them know they need to register ASAP in order to ensure they get in! It looks like all of our Sunday races will sell out sometime this week! After each of the races sell out we will create a wait list. As people switch races, defer or drop out we’ll fill each newly open slot from the wait list, but there’s no guarantee.
Our Saturday races will also continue to take registrations until their max numbers have been reached. We have planned to take registrations on race day (Saturday, April 26th) for these races, unless of course they also sell out.
2. The Barnabas Health Family Festival and Kids Races
Held each year on the Saturday morning prior to our Marathon, etc. on the Oceanfront Promenade in Long Branch (the site of the finish area for the Sunday races), Barnabas Health brings families a morning of fun activities and kids races. Please check out the various activities on our website and bring the family!
The Kids’ 1.2 Mile Marathon is the only event which requires a paid registration (either on-line or on-site on race day morning). Four charities are offering registrations for this race. Choose one of those charities and register with them. All of your registration money goes directly to the charity of your choice.
3. The Kids Move The New Jersey Marathon Program
2000 Long Branch Elementary School Children have begun a multi-week program to accumulate 25 equivalent miles of movement by Saturday, April 26th. The children who have successfully met that goal will be invited to move (run, walk, etc.) the last 1.2 miles with us in order to complete the full marathon distance, during the Kids’ 1.2 Mile Marathon. This program is enabled by the enthusiastic support of: the Long Branch School District, Novo Nordisk (sponsoring the multi-week in-school portion), the New Jersey Road Runners Youth Foundation (sponsoring the finishers medals), and the New Jersey Marathon. We are all proud of this amazing event, and expect to offer it state-wide over the coming years.
4. Security – Be Aware of the Rules to Make Race Day Easier
On Sunday, April 27th special security procedures will be in place at the start, finish and throughout the courses. Here are some Highlights: Registered Athletes: May bring one clear plastic bag, the one which was given to them by the race, with no other bag inside it. That Official Race Day Gear Bag must be dropped off at the Gear Drop Trucks inside Monmouth Park. Hydration belts and hydration bladders are allowed (as long as they do not contain pockets). Athletes wearing the hydration belts/packs may be asked to drink the liquid.
Spectators: No bags of ANY KIND will be allowed in the security zones inside the Monmouth Park Grandstand gates or inside the secure Finish Line Festival Area. That means no pocketbooks, backpacks, diaper bags, etc.
On Saturday, April 26th and Friday, April 25th report any suspicious behavior and unattended bags, backpacks, etc.
5. Getting Information During Race Weekend
If you have questions over race weekend there will be Information available in many locations and ways. There will be an Info booth just inside the Main Expo Entrance (to the left), a tent as you enter Monmouth Park at the Start Area and a tent at the Finish Line Festival area on race day. In addition, there will be staff roaming around each of those venues wearing shirts which say: “Got A Question?” on the front and “Ask Me!” on the back. If the Ask Me folks can answer your question they will direct you to one of our Info booths/tents.
6. Volunteer Shout Out
We have a few volunteer positions open for race weeks shifts (April 23-27). If you’d like to be part of the action and involved in some of the many activities required to put on this weekend event, we would be glad to find a spot for you. Send an email right away to: Volunteers@NJMarathon.org, as we’re almost full.
7. NY/NJ Challenge Participants
Don’t forget to pick up your medal at our Results and Awards tent after your race. You earned it, and we want you to have it! Three medals for two races, sweet!
8. Making Race Day Special
Choose one or more of the following ways to enhance your post-race experience:
- Sign up for a VIP Experience. The Gold Level is closed, but we’re still accepting a few more Silver Level VIPs for special: expo and race day parking, start and finish line food, bibs and bib numbers, etc.
- NY York and Northern NJ, take the train to the race – simplify race day transportation on April 27th
- Rock to the Finish Line Festival Band (a popular Jersey Shore band will be announced any day now)
- Listen for your bib # to be announced as one of our many Finish Line Raffle winners. You’re automatically entered in the raffle as soon as you cross the finish line (they are chosen by finisher’s bib numbers)
- Enjoy a free, light massage, to help with your post-race recovery and rejuvenation
- Enjoy a meal while cheering for family and friends still on the race course
- Have your new spinning finisher’s medal engraved with your name and finish time
- Shop for some great deals on Official New Jersey Marathon and Long Branch Half Marathon gear
- Take a walk on the beach, which is right beside the finish area, and perhaps a dip in the ocean!
9. Packet Pick-up And Our Speaker Series
Plan you visit to our Expo & Race Packet Pick-up service around our Presentation Series events which include:
- Cross Training For Runners on (Fri., 1:30 p.m.), by Kaiser Therapy
- Core Training For Distance Runners on (Fri., 2:00 p.m., and Sat., 1:00 p.m.), by JMP Fitness
- Fueling for Race Day Success (Fri., 3 p.m., Sat., 11 a.m.), by Draper Training and Nutrition
- Adopting a Healthy Life Style & Achieving Goals (Fri., 4 p.m., Sat., 10:30 a.m.), by Stay Strong Multi-Sport
- Race Pacing Strategy (Fri., 6:30 p.m., Sat., 3:30 p.m.) by Otto Lam, Pace Team Director
- Post-Marathon Recovery Plan (Fri., 4:30 p.m., Sat., 5:00 p.m.), by Nourish.Sculpt.Motivate
- Training and Racing with Type 1 Diabetes (Fri., 5:30 p.m), by Jay Hewitt, Elite Ironman triathlete
- 2014 Course Overviews (Fri., 6 p.m., Sat., 4 p.m.), by Jim Thomas, Course Director
- Proper Usage and Application of Taping (Sat, 1:30 p.m., 4:30 p.m.), by Kinesio Taping Association
- Running Form (Sat., 11:30 am), by eChiFitness
- Yoga for All Ages (Sat., 3 p.m.), by Monmouth Beach Yoga & Wellness
10. Let’s All Pitch in Together to Help Others
We’re attempting to change the lives of families in African villages again by donating used athletic shoes to the MORE Foundation during the Expo. It takes the proceeds from 600 pairs of shoes to sustain a family for a year, and we’d like to adopt several families again this year! Together we supported 4 families in 2013. Thank you!
Move for Hunger will be conducting a food drive again this year during the Health & Fitness Expo. Please remember, it’s “cans in hands” when heading to the Expo. Please help us to end hunger here in New Jersey!!
I hope the information above will help you plan for the variety of activities available over the 3 day weekend.
Best wishes during your training and throughout the entire weekend of activities!