19th Annual Novo Nordisk New Jersey Marathon, April 24-26
Full Marathon, Half Marathon & Relay, 5K, Health & Fitness Expo, Family Events & Kids Races
Race Director Update #9
2 weeks until Race Weekend
Thank you for registering for the 19th Annual Novo Nordisk New Jersey Marathon & Half Marathon weekend, which includes the 2015 RRCA New Jersey State Championship race in the marathon distance. In an effort to help make your participation more enjoyable throughout the entire race weekend, this is the ninth in a series of weekly messages containing important information. Copies of these messages will also be available on our Website and on our Blog. Links to them will be posted on both Facebook and Twitter.
New for 2015:
- The Full, Half and Relay races will all start at 7:30 am this year.
- There are NO Speed Restrictions for athletes in wheelchairs in the full marathon.
- Special Race Day Buses from: NY Port Authority, Newark Penn Station, Rahway, Matawan, Middletown
Below is an important summary from Race Director Update #1:
- Pre-Race: Carpool and be in the parking lots about 75-120 minutes before the race start (7:30 am), or take the Special NJ Marathon Race Day Transportation. Click here to register.
- Pre-paid parking at Monmouth Park: We strongly suggest the pre-paid option ($5) for these lots. Paying as you leave will cost $10 and will likely slow down your departure. Click here to register.
- Pre-paid parking near the Finish Area: Guaranteed Parking for spectators at 7-President’s Park is SOLD OUT.
- Post-Race: Getting home: Take a regularly scheduled NJ Transit train, (Please note: these trains do NOT stop at Monmouth Park), walk to your vehicle in one of the parking lots near the Finish Area, or take one of our free shuttle buses back to your vehicle at Monmouth Park.
- Race Day Gear Check: Take advantage of this free service for dry, warm clothing after your race!
- Race Packet Pick-up: Free at the Expo, paid service on race day morning. Click here to register for Will Call Service.
- Race Day Security Information for: Athletes, Spectators, Sponsors, Press, Volunteers & Race Staff should be reviewed prior to Race Day.
Smooth Sailing on April 25 th at the ShapingNJ 5K and the Barnabas Health Family Festival
- Parking for the ShapingNJ 5K and Barnabas Health Family Festival and Kids Races: Lots will be available in Pier Village for $5, as well as on street parking around the area.
- The Start/Finish Location: The 5K, Kids’ Races, Kid’s 1.2 Mile Marathon, Kids Move The New Jersey Marathon Run and Family Festival will all be held at the Oceanfront Promenade in Long Branch: between the Ocean Place Resort and Rooney’s Restaurant. Additional information is available on our website.
- Getting to the Start: There are no anticipated road closures on April 25. Good access should exist from the west via Rt. 36, from the north via Rt. 36 and from the south via Ocean Ave. / Blvd., and all local roads.
- Security Restrictions: Report any suspicious behavior and unattended bags to Race Staff/Police.
Smooth Sailing on April 24 th & 25th at the Health & Fitness Expo
- Getting to the Expo: The address is 175 Oceanport Ave., Oceanport, NJ 07757. Rt. 36 west from GSP Exit 105 and Rt. 18 Exit 13B provide the main access to Oceanport Ave. Many other route options are available using local roads.
- Expo Parking: All Expo parking will be inside the Grandstand Area of the park, off Oceanport Ave. VIP Parking: via the first right onto Park Rd. from the traffic circle followed by a quick right into the lot. All other parking: part way around the traffic circle to the left. All Expo parking is free.
- Race Packet Pick-up: Be sure to bring your bib # with you to the Expo to speed up the process. Look it up beforehand using the link on our website. Terminals will also be available at the Expo for anyone who doesn’t know their bib number.
- The Barnabas Health Family Festival and Kids Races
Held each year on the Saturday morning prior to our Marathon, etc. on the Oceanfront Promenade in Long Branch (the site of the finish area for the Sunday races), Barnabas Health brings families a morning of fun activities and kids races. Please check out the various activities on our website and bring the family!
The Kids’ 1.2 Mile Run is the only event which requires a paid registration (either on-line or on-site on Saturday the 25th).
- The Kids Move The New Jersey Marathon Program
Over 2500 Elementary School Children from Long Branch, Oceanport, Monmouth Beach and Perth Amboy have begun a multi-week program to accumulate either 12 or 25 equivalent miles of movement (depending on their age) before Saturday, April 25th. The children who have successfully met that goal will be invited to move (run, walk, etc.) the last 1.1 or 1.2 miles with us in order to complete the half or full marathon distance, during the Kids’ 1.2 Mile Run. This program is enabled by the enthusiastic support of: the School Districts, Novo Nordisk (sponsoring the multi-week in-school portion), the New Jersey Road Runners Youth Foundation (sponsoring the finishers medals), and the New Jersey Marathon and Half Marathon. We are all proud of this amazing event, and expect to offer it state-wide in future years.
- Security – Be Aware of the Rules to Make Race Day Easier
On Sunday, April 26th special security procedures will be in place at the start, finish and throughout the courses. Here are some Highlights:
- Registered Athletes: May bring one clear plastic bag, the one which was given to them by the race, with no other bag inside it. That Official Race Day Gear Bag must be dropped off at the Gear Drop Trucks inside Monmouth Park. Hydration belts and hydration bladders are allowed (as long as they do not contain pockets). Athletes wearing the hydration belts/packs may be asked to take a drink of the liquid.
- Spectators: NO BAGS OF ANY KIND will be allowed in the security zones inside the Monmouth Park Grandstand gates or inside the secure Finish Line Festival Area. That means no pocketbooks, backpacks, diaper bags, etc.
- Getting Information During Race Weekend
If you have questions over race weekend there will be Information available in many locations and ways. There will be an Info booth just inside the Main Expo Entrance (to the right), a tent as you enter Monmouth Park at the Start Area and a tent at the Finish Line Festival area on race day. In addition, there will be staff roaming around each of those venues wearing shirts which say: “Got A Question?” on the front and “Ask Me!” on the back. If the Ask Me folks can’t answer your question they will direct you to one of our Info booths/tents.
- Volunteers – Final Call
We have a few volunteer positions still open for race weeks shifts (April 23-26). If you’d like to be part of the action and involved in some of the many activities required to put on this weekend event, we would be glad to find a spot for you. Send an email right away to: Volunteers@NJMarathon.org, as we’re almost full.
- Making Race Day Special
Choose one or more of the following ways to enhance your race experience:
- Sign up for a VIP Experience. VIPs will receive: a special meeting with our Race Director and local dignitaries, special expo and race day parking areas, special start and finish line food and relaxation areas, special bibs and bib numbers, etc.
- NY York and Northern NJ, take the bus to the race – simplify race day transportation on April 26th
- Rock to the Finish Line Festival Band (a popular Jersey Shore band will be announced any day now)
- Listen for your bib # to be announced as one of our many Finish Line Raffle winners. You’re automatically entered in the raffle as soon as you cross the finish line (they are chosen by finisher’s bib numbers). Among other items, we will be raffling off six pairs of Skechers Performance shoes. That’s the brand and line of shoes which America’s top marathoner, Meb Keflezighi, wears!
- Enjoy a free, light massage, to help with your post-race recovery and rejuvenation
- Enjoy a snack or meal while cheering for family and friends still on the race course
- Have your new spinning finisher’s medal engraved with your name and finish time
- Shop for some great deals on Official New Jersey Marathon and Long Branch Half Marathon gear
- Take a walk on the beach, which is right beside the finish area, and perhaps a dip in the ocean!
- Our Expo Speakers and Exercise Classes
When planning you visit to our Health & Fitness Expo and Race Packet Pick-up service please check out our free Presentation Series and Exercise classes listed in Race Director Update #8.
Weather permitting, we will again have musical entertainment in the area in front of the Expo main entrance.
- Let’s All Pitch in Together to Help Others
We’re attempting to change the lives of families in African villages again by donating used athletic shoes to the MORE Foundation during the Expo. It takes the proceeds from 600 pairs of shoes to sustain a family for a year, and we’d like to adopt several families again this year! Together we have supported 8 families since 2012. That’s a lot of shoes! We thank you for giving us your old training and racing partners! We encourage you to continue the tradition this year.
Move for Hunger will be conducting a food drive again this year during the Health & Fitness Expo. Please remember, it’s “cans in hands” when heading to the Expo. Please help us to end hunger here in New Jersey!! Together you have donated over 6,000 pounds of food. Thank you for your generosity!
I hope that the information above will help you to understand what to expect during the many parts of race weekend and help you to better plan your time with us at the Shore.
Best wishes during your training and on race day!
Novo Nordisk New Jersey Marathon and Half Marathon
Presented by: Life Time Fitness