19th Annual Novo Nordisk New Jersey Marathon, April 24-26
Full Marathon, Half Marathon & Relay, 5K, Health & Fitness Expo, Family Events & Kids Races
Race Director Update #2
9 weeks until Race Weekend
Thank you for registering for the 19th Annual Novo Nordisk New Jersey Marathon & Half Marathon weekend, which includes the 2015 RRCA New Jersey State Championship race in the marathon distance. In an effort to help make your participation more enjoyable throughout the entire race weekend, this is the first in a series of weekly messages containing important information. Copies of these messages will also be available on our Website and on our Blog. Links to them will be posted on both Facebook and Twitter.
New for 2015:
- The Full, Half and Relay races will all start at 7:30 am this year.
- There are NO Speed Restrictions for athletes in wheelchairs in the full marathon.
Things to know about race weekend:
Expo Parking: Parking on both days of the New Jersey Marathon Health and Fitness Expo is free and open to the public (Fri 1pm-7pm, Sat 10am-6pm). Parking will be inside the gates of Monmouth Park, in the Grandstand lots adjacent to the Start Line of the Sunday races. VIP Parking at the Expo will be in a different location inside Monmouth Park. VIPs will receive instructions prior to the race weekend.
5K: The ShapingNJ 5K race will be held on Saturday, April 25th on a USATF certified course. It will start (and end) at the Finish Line of the Sunday races, at 8:30 am on the Long Branch Oceanfront Promenade, north of both Pier Village and the Ocean Place Resort. After the race, the Barnabas Health Family Festival & Kids Races will begin, in the same location!
Family Festival & Kids Races: Barnabas Health has partnered with us again this year to sponsor a Family Festival and Kids Races, and we are very excited to be working with them to offer this special family focused part of our weekend. Click here for a link to our website and the details of this fun Saturday morning event, on April 25th. The Barnabas Health Family Festival and Kids Races begin at 9:30 am on the Long Branch Promenade Great Lawn, which is north of both Pier Village and the Ocean Place Resort.
Make it “A Shore Thing” Weekend: There’s lots to do over the three days of the Novo Nordisk New Jersey Marathon weekend, and individuals, groups and families are already making plans to enjoy the Jersey Shore with us in late April. In fact, several of the hotels on our Lodging page are almost full. In addition to the ShapingNJ 5K and Barnabas Health Family Festival and Kids Races on Saturday, there is much to do at Monmouth Park on both Friday and Saturday during our Health & Fitness Expo, In addition to picking up your official race packet (bib #, technical event shirt and Sunday gear drop bag), there will be exercise classes, a very helpful and informative speaker series and a perhaps a mini golf tournament. More info will be available soon to help you plan your day(s) at the expo. There are also historic areas and businesses to explore along with clubs and restaurants.
Course Updates: The Novo Nordisk New Jersey Marathon course has changed in three locations this year (Oceanport, Asbury Park and Ocean Grove) and has also been sent to the USATF for recertification. We will run the entire length of the Asbury Park Boardwalk heading north this year, however repairs are still underway in Ocean Grove which will keep us off those boardwalks heading south again this year! We do expect the repairs in Ocean Grove will be completed in time to allow us to run both ways on the Asbury Park and Ocean Grove Boardwalks again in 2016.
The NJ Half Marathon and Half Marathon Relay course has changed in Oceanport from the certified 2014 course, therefore we have sent it to the USATF for recertification. Please note: the boardwalk along the oceanfront in Long Branch will NOT be repaired in time for this year’s race either. We do expect that the repairs to that boardwalk with be completed before our 2016 race weekend.
The ShapingNJ 5K course has not changed this year and will retain its certification from 2014.
Below is an important summary from Race Director Update #1:
Smooth Sailing on Race Day:
- Getting to the Start: Carpool and be in the parking lots about 75-120 minutes before the race start (7:30 am), or take the Special NJ Marathon Race Day Train. Click here to register for the train.
- Post-Race: Getting home: Take a regularly scheduled NJ Transit train, (Please note: these trains don’t stop at Monmouth Park), walk to your vehicle in one of the parking lots near the Finish Area, or take one of our free shuttle buses back to your vehicle at Monmouth Park.
- Pre-paid parking at Monmouth Park: We strongly suggest this option. Click here to register.
- Pre-paid parking near the Finish Area: Guaranteed Parking for spectators at Seven President’s Oceanfront Park in Long Branch for $15. Click here to purchase a ticket.
- Race Day Gear Check: Take advantage of this free service for dry, warm clothing after your race!
- Race Packet Pick-up: Free at the Expo, paid service on race day morning. Click here to register.
- Race Day Security Information for Spectators (click the link and scroll down to the “Security Info”).
I hope that the information above will help take most of the pre-race and post-race stress out of your race weekend, and help you to better plan your time with us at the Shore.
Best wishes during your training and on race day!
Novo Nordisk New Jersey Marathon and Half Marathon
Presented by: Life Time Fitness