18th Annual Novo Nordisk New Jersey Marathon, April 25-27
Full Marathon, Half Marathon & Relay, Health & Fitness Expo, 5K, Family Events & Kids Races
Race Director Update #6 – 5 weeks until Race Weekend
Thank you for registering for The 18th Annual Novo Nordisk New Jersey Marathon Weekend. In an effort to make your participation more enjoyable, here is the sixth in the series of weekly messages. Copies of these updates are also available on our Website.
Important Summary – Smooth Sailing on April 27th – See Race Director Update #1 for more details:
- Pre-Race: Carpool and be in the parking lots between 75-120 minutes early, or take the Special Race Day Train to the Start. Click here for a train ticket ($10).
- Pre-paid parking at Monmouth Park: We strongly suggest this pre-paid option. Click here for a pre-paid pass ($5).
- Pre-paid parking near the Finish Area: Guaranteed Parking for spectators at 7-President’s Oceanfront Park in Long Branch. Click here for a $15 pass.
- Post-Race – Getting to your vehicle: Take a regularly scheduled NJ Transit train, walk to a parking lot near the Finish Area, or take one of our free buses back to Monmouth Park.
- Race Day Gear Check: Take advantage of this free service for dry, warm, clothing after your race!
- Race Packet Pick-up: Free at the Expo. Paid service on race day morning. Click here to register ($25).
- Race Day Security Information for Athletes, Spectators, Press, Volunteers and Race Staff: Click here for special race day security requirements.
The graphic for the Finish Line Festival Area is not complete, so this week’s topic has been changed.
1. Tune-up Training Run On the Courses:
Mark your calendar for a tune-up training run on Sunday, April 6th (three weeks prior to race day). We will have a 10 miler (8 am start) and 20 miler (7 am start) “Last Long Training Run”, on parts of the course.
Please “Join” our event on facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/events/562747157155359/ as we need an accurate headcount to finalize ordering of supplies and staffing plans. Please let us know that you’ll be training with us on that day by clicking on “Join” for the event.
2. Last call for customized bibs!
Everyone registered prior to April 1st will have the name they entered during registration pre-printed on their bib. If you did not enter anything during you registration, your first name will be automatically pre-printed. Everyone registered on/after April 1st will NOT have a customized bib. Let your friends know!
3. The 2-Person Half Marathon Relay:
At Packet Pick-up at the Health & Fitness Expo (Friday April 25th and Saturday April 26th):
Either the team Captain or the teammate may come to Packet Pick-up with the Registration Details Form and valid photo ID. Please announce your Bib # and Team Name, and give the Form and valid ID to the volunteer to receive the bibs, timing chips/belt and safety pins for both team members. Please note: you will not be able to pick up the race packet for your team unless you have the proper paperwork! Please review the “Packet Pickup Info” on our website prior to visiting the Expo in order to make this process as easy as possible.
Relay Info on Race Day:
Please wear your Bib # on the front of your t-shirt, and a second bib with “RELAY” on the back of your shirt. You will be provided sixteen safety pins in your race packet to use in attaching these two bibs to each person’s shirt. Please note: the bottom of your bib will have a tear off portion to be attached to your gear-drop bag (if applicable). It should be removed and either attached to your race day gear bag, or disposed of if you’re not checking a gear bag. Please review the Gear Drop instructions in Race Director Update #4 if you are planning to drop off a bag of clothing for the finish line. The race packet will also contain a third race bib with timing strips on the back, which is attached to an elastic belt. That is the belt and bib which the active athlete will wear during their portion of the relay race and which will be transferred to the second athlete at the Relay Transition Area (see below).
Getting to the start of your leg of the Relay:
- The first athlete on a team should either park or be dropped off near the Start Line at Monmouth Park, prior to 5:45 am.
- The second athlete on a team may either: park or be dropped off at Monmouth Park and utilize the free shuttle bus service to the Transition Area, or drive to a parking lot near the Transition Area in Monmouth Beach (see below).
Shuttle Buses to/from the Relay Transition Area:
- Buses from Monmouth Park to the Relay Transition Area will load between 6:45 am and 7:00 am and will LEAVE promptly at 7:00 am on race day morning in order to avoid road closures. Please note: After 7:00 am you must find your own way to the transition area, which is not within walking distance. (See below for parking near the Relay Transition Area in Monmouth Beach).
- Buses from the Transition Area (watch for signs) will shuttle the first team member to the finish area. They will run from 7:15 am until 9:30 am only. Toilets and water will be located in the Transition Area, along with a tent for shelter.
Parking near the Transition Area is on the southern end of Seaview Ave. in Monmouth Beach (between Valentine St. and Surf Rd.). Since that parking area has limited spaces, and is open to the general public, it is advisable for most relay participants who are starting their portion of the race from the Transition Area to park at Monmouth Park and take the free shuttle buses to the Transition Area.
At the Relay Transition (Griffin Park in Monmouth Beach):
When arriving inside the Transition Area, the first teammate must remove the belt with the bib and timing chip and hand it to the second teammate. Once the belt is securely in place the second teammate may exit the Transition Area to begin their portion of the race.
Race Support Staff will be on-site at the Transition Area for questions. Please follow their directions to make the transition as easy as possible. Please plan your Relay carefully for the best experience!
Relay Info at the Finish Area:
- The first athlete will NOT be allowed to enter the secure finish area while waiting for their teammate.
- The second athlete will be given 2 Finisher medals after they turn in the timing belt at the finish line.
- The second athlete should request two portions of food as they go through the Athlete Services Food Tent since security requirements only allow entry from the finish line side. Please note: you will not be allow back into the tent once you’ve exited.
4. ShapingNJ 5K:
To race in the ShapingNJ 5K you must wear an official race bib and timing strip during your race, with the medical information filled out on the back. Race Packets (race bib/timing strip and race shirt) will be available for pick-up during the Health & Fitness Expo on Friday, at Monmouth Park, in Oceanport. If you are unable to make it during the normally scheduled expo hours (1-7 pm), you may pick it up at the Start Line on race day morning, between 7:00 and 8:00 am.
Parking (paid) is normally available in the lots near the start/finish area, and there may be some on-street parking available, depending on your arrival time. Please carpool whenever possible to reduce traffic congestion and full parking lots. The only street closure will be on Ocean Ave. (not Ocean Blvd.), between the eastern end of Brighton Ave. in West End and Laird St. in Pier Village, and therefore access to the Start will be unimpeded.
Athletes should begin lining up at the start line at 8:15 am for the prompt 8:30 am start. Please line up by expected finish time, so that faster participants are ahead of you. There is always a danger of tripping accidents during the start of a race if participants are not arranged in the order by speed (pace). Please do your part to help make it a safe start for yourself and others around you.
5. Barnabas Health Family Festival and Kids Races:
On Saturday morning April 26th, directly after the ShapingNJ 5K, we will present the Family Festival and Kids Races sponsored by Barnabas Health. In addition to several races, there will be: clowns, face painting, music, carnival games, crafts, refreshments, awards, medals, and commemorative T-Shirts. It is a great festival for the entire family!
The fun starts at 8:30 am until noon on the Great Lawn at the Ocean Promenade, in Long Branch at the finish line of Sunday’s races! (North of Pier Village – between the Ocean Place Resort & Spa and Rooney’s Restaurant)
Included in this event will be “1.2 Mile Kids’ Marathon” which includes the “Kids Move the New Jersey Marathon” athletes. These are local (Long Branch) children earning mileage and completing their very own marathon over the course of several weeks.
Registration for the Barnabas Health Family Festival and Kids Races is available either directly through benefiting charities (registration links will be available on the event’s page on our website), or between 8:30 am and 9:30 am on event day on the Long Branch Oceanfront.
Questions? Please email: email@example.com
I hope that this information will help you plan for the variety of activities available over the 3 day weekend. Please let us know if you have other questions about what to expect.
Best wishes during your training and throughout the entire weekend of activities!