18th Annual Novo Nordisk New Jersey Marathon, April 25-27
Full Marathon, Half Marathon & Relay, Health & Fitness Expo, 5K, Family Events & Kids Races
Race Director Update #1 – 10 weeks until Race Weekend
Thank you for registering for The 18th Annual Novo Nordisk New Jersey Marathon weekend which includes the 2014 RRCA New Jersey State Championship races in both the Marathon and Half Marathon distances. In an effort to help make your participation more enjoyable throughout the entire race weekend, this is the first in a series of weekly messages containing important information. Copies of these messages will also be available on our Website. Links to them will be posted on both Facebook and Twitter.
Smooth Sailing on Race Day:
This section contains important information to help race day go as smoothly as possible for you.
1. Getting to the Start: We are working hard to improve the experience of getting to the Start Line on race day morning, and look forward to your cooperation in helping to reduce traffic delays.
Throughout the fall we looked for ways to recover from the loss of parking lots as a result of increased security put in place after the bombings in Boston last year. We have been working with the security forces to make sure our traffic and parking plans mesh well with their plans. We have added additional parking lots to replace ones which are no longer available to us and we have added additional parking staff to guide you into parking spaces faster.
a. Here are the ways in which you can help make access to the Start Line better:
• If arriving in a private vehicle there are two important things which you can do to make your commute easier on Race Day Morning:
a. Carpool, and
b. Plan on being in the parking lots around Monmouth Park about 75-120 minutes prior to the start of your race.
Half Marathon and Relay Athletes and Half Marathon Start Line spectators: If you get off at Exits 105 or 109 of the Garden State Parkway after 6:00 am you will likely miss the start of your race!!! Plan ahead. That means that you should plan to be in the parking lots prior to 5:45 am for the Half Marathon and Half Relay.
Marathoners and Marathon Start Line spectators: Plan on being in the parking lots between 6:00 am 7:00 am on race day morning. Please note: Due to the start of the Half Marathon and Relay at 6:45 am, some roads into the parking lots will be closed starting about 6:20 am on race day. With more limited access to parking lots after that time, please plan for extra time to get into the open parking lots.
2. Post-Race: When leaving the Finish Area after your race there are several post-race transportation choices to consider.
a. Walk to Long Branch Station and take a regularly scheduled NJ Transit train home. Please note: These trains DO NOT STOP at Monmouth Park. If parked there this is not an option for you.
b. Walk to your vehicle which is parked in one of the parking lots around the Finish Area.
c. Walk to our Finish Area bus depot (in front of the Ocean Place Resort) for a free bus ride back to Monmouth Park and your vehicle (see below). Please note: Due to road closures from the race, these buses cannot begin the return trip to Monmouth Park until about 9:15 am. Starting at about 9:00 am buses will begin boarding by starting corral order until any backlog has been reduced. We invite you to take advantage of the Finish Line Festival (food, music, raffles, awards ceremonies, cheering for other athletes, etc.). If it’s cool on race day you those warm close you check with us will be waiting for you in the finish area (see below).
Pre-paid parking at Monmouth Park: By registering and paying the $5 per car parking fee prior to race day, exiting the parking lots will be much faster this year. We strongly suggest that you take advantage of this option. Click here to register for Start Area Parking. Tickets will be given out with race bibs during Packet Pick-up at the expo.
Pre-paid parking near the Finish Area: We offer Guaranteed Finish Area Parking at Seven President’s Oceanfront Park in Long Branch for $15. Click here to register for Guaranteed Finish Area Parking. Please note: There is no shuttle transportation from this parking lot to the Start Area.
Gear Check: If you would like to have warm/dry clothing available at the finish of your race, please use the official gear check bag which you will receive when picking up your race packet. It is the ONLY BAG you will be allowed to bring into the secure Start Area in Monmouth Park and the ONLY BAG you will be allowed to carry inside the secure Finish Area. Take advantage of this free service to stay warm and comfortable after your race!
3. Race Day Security Information for Athletes, Spectators, Press, Volunteers and Race Staff: Click here to read about the special race day security requirements at both the Start Area and the Finish Area. If everyone complies with the security requirements, these two areas will be simple to get to and fun places to be on race day for everyone. These safety procedures are intended to allow everyone to feel the positive energy and excitement of race day, in as safe an environment as possible. Please note: There will be no exceptions to these security requirements on race day! It is your responsibility to understand them and to comply fully. Please be sure that any race day supporters read and understand the security requirement which apply to them as well.
Other things to consider:
• Our VIP Program includes special Start Area parking and access to our VIP Tents at both the Start and Finish Areas, in addition to special features during your visit to our Expo.
• Race Packet Pick-up: If you aren’t able to pick up your race packet during our normal Expo hours on Friday or Saturday, and can’t find a proxy to pick it up for you for free, we offer a Race Day Packet Pick-Up Service. This service is limited to the first 500 who pre-register for it and costs $25. Click here if you wish to register for this special service. Plan to arrive early to give yourself plenty of time to get you packet, pin you bib on your shirt, check clothing for the finish line, etc.
This information is designed to give you suggestions that will reduce pre-race and post-race stress, over the entire race weekend. Please take the time to review the suggestions in these weekly updates and plan accordingly.
As always, the most effective way to manage stress during your race is to develop and follow well thought out training and racing plans, and adjust your plans as needed on race day.
Best wishes during your training and on race day!
Executive Race Director
Novo Nordisk New Jersey Marathon
Presented by: Life Time Fitness